1.08.2008

Gazing At the Granite State

New Hampshire primary today. The vote count is already in from the tiny hamlet of Dixville Notch, which votes just after midnight. If this is a preview of how the day is going to go for Hillary Clinton, it's going to be a very, very bad day for her. Barack Obama got seven of the ten votes cast for Democrats, John Edwards got two votes, and Bill Richardson got one vote. Hillary? Donut. Zip. Nada. Zero.

If Hillary does come back to win the nomination and the election, I would not want to be a resident of Dixville Notch, which would probably be the future location of the Hillary Clinton National Nuclear Waste Storage Facility.

And then there were the two protesters at one of Hillary's rallies yesterday, who stood up and yelled "Iron My Shirt!" and waved signs with the same slogan. Security removed them and Hillary was able to comment, "Ah, the remnants of sexism — alive and well," scoring applause from the crowd. Am I the only one to wonder whether the men might have been planted there deliberately by the Clinton campaign, perhaps to garner sympathy for her and to allow her a clever riposte? Now, some people might think that's being overly suspicious of Senator Clinton, but then again, she did have planted questioners during a debate. I wouldn't put it past her to plant fake protesters in the crowd.

Talking with one of my co-workers last night, I asked her what she thought of Mike Huckabee. "He scares me a bit... He was a preacher, after all..." she told me.

"You know what scares me about him?" I asked. "He lost all of that weight. You know how the people who are the toughest against smoking are the reformed smokers? It's the same for fat people. Today, he was on television showing off a Huckaburger made of bison meat and bean sprouts. People who have made drastic lifestyle changes often want to push them on other people. I don't need a nanny state, though. I already have a mother."