7.17.2007

Using My Foreign Language Skills

While I was never fluent in German, I spoke enough to get by during my years in Germany. Yesterday, that foreign language skill came in handy when I found this Reuters article online:

"Too sexy for my bus," woman told
BERLIN (Reuters) - A German bus driver threatened to throw a 20-year-old sales clerk off his bus in the southern town of Lindau because he said she was too sexy, a newspaper reported Monday.

"Suddenly he stopped the bus," the woman named Debora C. told Bild newspaper. "He opened the door and shouted at me 'Your cleavage is distracting me every time I look into my mirror and I can't concentrate on the traffic. If you don't sit somewhere else, I'm going to have to throw you off the bus.'"

The woman, pictured in Bild wearing her snug-fitting summer clothes with the plunging neckline, said she moved to another seat but was humiliated by the bus driver.
Now, I was rather irked by the fact that Reuters didn't have a picture of the fetching fraulein with the plunging neckline. However, they at least told me where I could look. Bild is a tabloid, with all of the entertainment value that entails. A quick search of their site found the German-language article, complete with a picture of the delightful Debora:

Debora zu sexy für den Bus

Ironically, the picture shows far less of her cleavage than the "Shopping" ad does of its model. And this being a European tabloid, you know that it doesn't stop there! Oh no, my friends! There was a set of 11 pictures of the Montagsmädchen (Monday girl): Miriam, schöne Schuhverkäuferin (pretty shoe saleslady). Debora was positively dowdy by comparison to the topless Miriam. Herr Autobusfahrer would have been absolutely driven to distraction!

On today's front page, Bild has a picture of Paris Hilton having a wardrobe malfunction with the German caption: Jetzt ist auch ihr Busen frei! (Now her bosom is also free!) Gotta love it!