7.03.2006

One For the Ladies

I called my mom yesterday afternoon and we had a nice conversation. She mentioned that she had gone to Boston recently for a Microsoft conference, and then she regaled me with an anecdote which I know that my female readers will probably appreciate. This isn't word-for-word, but it's close enough:

"You might not find this amusing, but I did," she told me. "Most of the people attending the conference were men, probably between 80-90%, which reflects the ratio of men to women in the IT field. Well, during the breaks, when people would head to the restrooms, there were long lines coming out the door of the men's restroom but no lines at all for the women's! In fact, I probably never saw more than a couple of other women in the restroom at all. It was an interesting turnabout from the usual situation."