2.16.2007

Goodbye, Alice

Last night was my last night of going in to work at 11 p.m. Effective next week, my hours have been changed so that I start at 10 p.m. instead. There are advantages and disadvantages to going in an hour earlier. The good part will be getting off an hour earlier. There will be less traffic on the drive home, fewer school buses, etc. The bad part will be going to work an hour earlier and having to deal with more traffic on the roads. Also, it means that I won't get to listen to Alice Cooper's "Nights With Alice Cooper" radio show, which had become a nightly staple for my drive to work. It comes on at 10 p.m., so I'll just be out of luck, since I'll already be at work when it comes on.

I think that management has probably made a mistake in moving all of our hours to a 10 p.m. start time. If the mail isn't done by 6:30, and many days it isn't on at least some of the machines, then they will have to keep people overtime to finish the mail. Guess what? I'm not on the overtime desired list, so when 6:30 comes, I'll be walking. If they tell me I have to stay, I'll file a grievance, since if they'd left me at the old start time, I'd be there until 7:30. Oh well, not my problem.

There's been a really big propaganda push at work for the ERRP program, which is the Ergonomics Something-Something Program. ERRP seems the perfect acronym for a program that will be a gassy belch of talk that probably won't accomplish much. There is a whole glass case full of little animal cartoons with cutesy ergonomic slogans. Some warn to "Stop MSDs", without telling us just what the heck an MSD is. My guess was Management's Stupid Decisions, although those would be absolutely unstoppable.

Yesterday was cool, rainy and overcast, perfect sleeping weather. I got about 10 hours of sleep, waking up at 9:00 p.m. I'm well-rested for my three-day weekend. Today is also cool and overcast, although not rainy so far. I'm not going to waste today with so much sleep, though. Let the weekend begin!