1.06.2009

Spotted in the Mail

Last night, I spotted a brochure for a company named Heritage Auctions that was advertising a "Natural History Auction," including such items as the fossilized skull of a triceratops (7-1/2 feet long, 5 feet wide) and the skull of a saber-toothed cat. The first item is expected to bring $240-280,000 at auction, while the second is a relative bargain at an expected $40-50,000.

I showed the triceratops skull on the cover of the brochure to my partner on the machine and asked, "Where would you display it? What are you going to do, put it out in your formal garden with the bonsai?"

I told someone else about it, and he said, "Well, you could put it in your hunting lodge with the elk heads." I pointed out that it would make the elk heads look downright puny, and besides, people would say, "Well, I KNOW you didn't kill THAT one!"

Anyway, follow the link if you've got that kind of money burning a hole in your pocket and a nice big room in your house that needs a triceratops skull to complete the decor.