1.02.2009

Quadrantids Tonight (Maybe)

There's a meteor shower tonight or early tomorrow morning. If the weather permits, I'll probably go out to watch. Now, I know what you're thinking: Going outside in early January for a couple of hours in the early morning to look for shooting stars is crazy! It's got to be freezing out there! Except, of course, here in Florida, it isn't. It will be cool, but the low overnight is supposed to be in the upper 50s. Nothing that jeans and a hooded sweatshirt can't handle.

While I'm not worried about the temperature, the possibility of cloud cover may scrub the mission. I figure I'll take a look outside around 4 a.m. tomorrow. If it's cloudy, then I won't bother driving to my usual meteor-watching spot. If it's clear, though, then I'll head out and see if I'm lucky enough to spot any. They're predicting a pretty good show, perhaps up to 100 meteors an hour, and good viewing since the moon is only a crescent at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed for clear weather tonight.