2.21.2006

Wow, It HAS Been a While, Hasn't It?

I went back to work last Wednesday. Except for a lingering cough, I feel fine.

I wasted my best writing of the weekend in the comments of someone else's blog, so I'll just plagiarize myself here with my take on the press reaction to the Cheney kerfuffle:

"I was recovering from the flu while watching those [White House] press conferences last Monday and Tuesday, and for a moment, in my feverish state, I thought I was watching an out-take blooper reel from the Westminster Dog Show, seeing a pack of pampered poodles and chihuahuas yapping and snarling at their handler and then lining up and lifting their legs en masse to use him as a fire hydrant. Then my vision cleared and I saw that the pooches were actually the ink-stained wretches and talking heads of the Washington press corps going berserk on poor Scott McClellan. I just shook my head. What more needs to be said?"

I watched a bunch of old movies over the weekend: "Joe vs. the Volcano" (a critically panned but underrated Tom Hanks movie, with Meg Ryan chewing up the scenery in a triple role), "The Terminator" (vintage Ahnold, although Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton were great in their roles), the 1967 classic "The Taming of the Shrew" (with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in the starring roles) and finally, "The Silence of the Lambs." For me, Jodie Foster was the perfect Clarice Starling, and I thought it was a shame they didn't get her back for the Clarice role in "Hannibal."