2.28.2009

Had Enough?

Me, too. I've been watching my Thrift Savings Plan (the federal version of a 401(k) plan) account dwindling over the past 14 months. It's down more than 25% from what it was in January 2008, and that's not including the money that I put into it since then. I've had enough. I was in the Lifecycle 2020 fund, which has a variety of investments of varying risk, set up for someone planning to retire around 2020, growing more risk-averse as time passes and retirement gets closer.

I had been thinking that Dow 7000 was going to be my floor, where I decided to get the hell out of the market, but as I watched the market continue to tank today, I realized that things aren't going to get better any time soon. With Obama and the drunk-on-power Democrats running things, the financial markets are only going to get worse. The left-wing soak-the-rich policies they are advocating are only going to make things worse, not better. There is no light at the end of the tunnel, and if there was, it would be an oncoming train.

So today, I took all of my remaining money out of that fund and put it all into the G fund, which is invested in low-interest government bonds and is the only fund guaranteed not to lose money. I also changed all of my future allocations to the G fund. I'm voting "no confidence" on Obama and his motley crew. I'm not going to even think about getting into any other fund until the Dow goes back over 9000. Sure, I'm not going to be able to make the money back when the market eventually starts going back up, but I won't lose any more money either if the market falls to 6000 or 5000 or God only knows how low. Screw it. I've lost enough, and it was money I worked damn hard for. My only regret is that I didn't do this on November 5th.