1.19.2007

The Other Side of Furious

This morning, on the Anger Continuum, I'm somewhere on the other side of Furious. It starts on the left side with Annoyed, then moves to Ticked Off, then to Angry and then to Furious. What's on the other side of Furious? I'm not sure, but I'm there.

Why? Because this morning, just before 5 a.m., my supervisor comes up to me and tells me that they are forcing all of the non-overtime list people normally scheduled off tonight to work. That includes me, of course. My response was to tell her, "I don't think so. The schedule you put up on Wednesday says that I have Saturday and Sunday off. I'm abiding by that schedule. I have plans. I'm not coming in." Then I put my iPod ear plugs back in and turned my back on her and ignored her.

Shortly thereafter, my union steward came by and told me that was the wrong approach. I should have just nodded my head and then called in and banged out tonight. Instead, I drew attention to myself and they might try to initiate discipline against me if I don't show up. He'd heard them talking in the office.

I saw the supervisor later and told her that my union steward had advised me that I had no other recourse but to come in tonight, but that they might wish that I hadn't when all was said and done. I explained that they might want to take a look at the numbers from my machine from December 30th. 58 full stackers? Not a coincidence. Run rate of 16,000 on the AO run? Not a coincidence. Unhappy employee. The mail made it out, but the numbers that get managers bonuses were shit.

Guess what? Tonight, I'm gonna be uncooperative again. I'll be filing a grievance. And I won't be my normal motivated, hard-working self. That guy only works Monday through Friday. He's not available on any day that starts with an S. As David Banner famously said, "Don't make me angry. You won't like me when I'm angry." Well, I'm angry, and I'm gonna be big and green tonight.

You'll have to excuse me. I'm really in the mood to kill someone, and since the law frowns on that, I'm going to fire up Oblivion and kill pixels instead. See ya later.