1.10.2007

Best Laid Plans, Yadda Yadda Yadda

Well, today was supposed to be dedicated to Touchstones, Part 2, Food/Not-Food. Regrettably, due to circumstances beyond my control, it's not happening today. Tomorrow looks pretty good, though.

And the circumstances? Call it donutus interruptus. I left work this morning feeling pretty good, since I'm not getting screwed out of my three-day weekend this time. On the way home, I was jonesing for some of the cinnamon donuts that they sometimes have at the Sweetbay grocery store. So, I stopped off there to see if they had them. They didn't. Instead, I got glazed sour cream donuts. I was in the store all of five minutes. When I got out to my car, it wouldn't start. I said a few choice words at that point, which I will leave to your imagination.

I didn't know if it was the battery or the generator/alternator. Fortunately, my car is still under warranty. I called the dealership and they gave me some numbers for towing companies they work with. I called and got the car towed in to the dealership, and then found out that it was indeed the battery. They replaced it and paid for the towing. All I lost was four hours of my morning. The dealer rep called me on my cell phone around noon to let me know my car was ready, and I walked back over from the mall and picked it up. I took advantage of the opportunity to browse the book store at the mall and to pick up a couple of new pairs of Levi's jeans at Sears. So it wasn't a totally wasted morning.

As I said, I'm getting my three-day weekend for Martin Luther King Day. Interestingly enough, everyone below me on the seniority list is getting screwed out of either one of their days off or their holiday. So I'm the cutoff point. Perhaps someone looked at the horrific number of full stackers and the abysmally low run rates on the DPS deal runs on my machine a couple of Saturdays ago when I was forced to work my day off, and decided that in the words of the immortal Lyndon Johnson, they were better off with me "inside the tent pissing out than outside the tent pissing in." Or perhaps it is just a coincidence. Yeah, that's it, just a coincidence. Wise decision, either way.