9.06.2006

Doing My Civic Duty

Yesterday was primary election day here in Florida. Turnout was very light, only about 17% of registered voters in my county. Unlike many others, however, I did my civic duty by voting in the Republican primary contests as well as the non-partisan ones.

This morning, after looking at the results, all I can say is "Don't blame me, I voted for McBride." Unfortunately, Katherine Harris's three opponents split the anti-theocracy Republican vote, and Harris got a bare 50% to win the nomination to run against incumbent Democrat Senator Bill Nelson in November. Even Harris's gaffe the other day wasn't enough for one of the other candidates to pass her. Too bad.

I have a really unpleasant choice to make in November, because I don't much care for her style, but I'm not going to vote for a liberal Democrat as long as there are crazy Muslims who want to kill us all. I guess I'll have to hold my nose and vote for Ms. Harris. Lesser of two evils and all that.