5.13.2005

Comments Policy

Okay, let's go over this quickly. I make comments available for my readers so that they can give intelligent replies to my posts if they wish to do so. This is a privilege, not a right. I do not make comments available for those who wish to make insulting and abusive remarks. Some people have been abusing the privilege.

You will notice that this post does not have any comments available. Blogger gives me a few options: New comments on, new comments off, new comments off and hide existing comments. The default for this blog has been open comments on all posts. That can and will change if people continue to abuse my hospitality.

On the post below, I disabled new comments but left the old ones visible. This gives me the last word on any conversation. I have the option of either holding abusive commenters up to the bright light of public ridicule if I so choose, or else making the comments disappear entirely on a particular post if I deem the comments to be sufficiently obnoxious.

I try to follow the Golden Rule and treat others the way that I would like to be treated, but if others are abusive and insulting to me, I reserve the right to reply in kind. You'll get it back, in spades. And remember, I do get the last word.

Finally, an aside to those of my co-workers who read this blog: It never ceases to amaze me how someone who wouldn't dare speak a harsh word to a person standing in front of him suddenly gets as bold as Attila the Hun when he can type anonymously from behind a keyboard.

If you have a problem with me, if you don't like what I have to say, or you don't like my political views, or you just don't like me, I don't really care. There are only a handful of people whose good opinion I value, and the odds are vanishingly small that you are one of them. But if you have something negative to say to me, then have the courage to say it to my face. I'm on BCS#14, Monday through Friday, Tour 1. Bring it on. Don't be a cowardly keyboard Attila.

No comments: