6.07.2008

Ain't That A Kick In the Head

We're back at Karl's place after the game. It was a simply unbelievable ball game. The Royals jumped out to a 5-1 lead, then fell behind 6-5, then scored five runs to go ahead 10-6, including a grand slam. But the Yankees came back with two runs in the seventh and two more in the eighth to tie the game 10-10. The Royals hit a solo home in the top of the ninth to take an 11-10 lead, and brought in their closer, but he allowed a game-tying homer and then gave up another run as the Yankees won, 12-11. Karl had to leave before the game ended so that he could get ready for work tonight. Kurt and I are probably just going to kick back tonight.

It was hot as hell at the ballpark, and a lot of Yankee fans left early and missed the seesaw comebacks. Let that be a lesson to them: It ain't over 'til it's over. I think it was the first time I've heard a crowd cheer when a cloud came in front of the sun and cooled things off a bit.

My knees are sunburned. I thought I did a pretty good job with the sunscreen, but I didn't allow for the hike-up factor and didn't put enough sunscreen that high up. Ouch.

It was Cap Day at the Stadium, so all three of us have free Yankee caps. I wore my Florida Marlins cap, though. It might have been a mistake, since it was wool rather than cotton. It did keep most of the sun off my face.

And now, I'm drained. I think I'll have a cold beverage and relax.