1.05.2009

Quadrantid Update

I did, indeed, go out early Saturday morning and watch the meteor shower. I was out for about half an hour, from 3:30 to 4:00 a.m. The sky was mostly clear, and I saw about ten meteors during that time, as well as a couple of other flashes out of the corner of my eye that might have been something. It was cool but not cold, around 58 degrees or so. The only fly in the ointment, so to speak, was a stray mosquito who started buzzing around my head toward the end. I'm amazed that there are any of them left; we've had some cold weather (into the upper 30s and lower 40s a couple of times) that should have killed them all off until the rainy season hatches the eggs they laid. It didn't bite me, anyway, it just buzzed threateningly.

After about a half hour or so, I'd seen enough. It was starting to get cloudy around the edges, and I'd seen what I'd gone out to see. It wasn't as good as the Leonid meteor storms of 2001 and 2002, but it wasn't a total bust like the 2008 Leonids, when I went out and it was too cloudy to see anything.