5.11.2006

What I'm Reading

Since I'm currently between gaming computers, I have a lot of time to read. I didn't read yesterday, though; instead, I caught up on my sleep. I have almost finished Scott Turow's latest novel (from 2005), "Ordinary Heroes." Most of Turow's books are legal dramas that take place in courtrooms. This one, however, is more of a World War II novel, and it's a fascinating story. The big plot twist at the end didn't surprise me; I saw it coming. I won't tell you what it is here, since you might choose to read the book and I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.

My next project, once I finish this book, will be to find a copy of S.M. Stirling's "The Protector's War" at the library. That book is the sequel to "Dies the Fire", and is the second book of a trilogy, with the third book due out this fall. I bought "Dies the Fire" on my birthday when I had some time to kill at a book store before meeting my dad for lunch. I saw "The Protector's War" (in hardback) and thought it looked interesting, then noted that it was a sequel. I wondered if I could find the first book, turned around and looked at the paperbacks across the aisle and lo and behold, there it was. "Dies the Fire" is an apocalyptic book with a very interesting premise: What happens to the world if electricity, internal combustion and explosives suddenly stop working, permanently? The answer is, a lot of people die, and the few survivors live in a new dark age. It was one of those books that was hard to put down. I stopped at the library last Friday to check on the sequel, but it wasn't on the shelf. However, there were about a dozen copies of Turow's book. Having read most of his other novels, that looked like an adequate substitute.